I can't Start Speech Recognition - Speech Recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported

Reaction score
My problem is that I can't start speech recognition on Windows 10 (all latest updates installed).
The error message is: I can't Start Speech Recognition - Speech Recognition could not start because the language configuration is not supported
The error description is: The recognizer language must match the language of the user interface. Please change the recognizer language in the Speech Recognition control panel under Advanced options.

I have English (US) region, language, keyboard & speech settings as default.
I have also trained speech recognition with my voice.

I remember many years ago I had disabled Cortana through a PowerShell script, but in my recent efforts to have speech recognition I reenabled it (but it's no longer running on latest windows 10 version anyway I think).

Things I have tried without success:
1. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
2. sfc.exe /scannow : sometimes issues are found but they are fixed but most of the time no integrity violations are found
3. putting ctfmon.exe in shell:startup folder and also having it run in startup via registry config
4. my microphone is working fine

I could use some help.
Thanks.

Ask a Question