SOLVED How can I reinstall Windows Security in Windows 10?

Reaction score
I accidentally removed Windows Security (Windows Defender). I downloaded a pirated game file that contained malware, which led to Windows Security being uninstalled or removed automatically. How do I restore Windows Security services without losing data? I am currently using the latest version of Windows 10.

Reaction score
Head over to Settings, then Update & Security, and select Windows Security. Click on Open Windows Security and if it opens, try running a quick scan to ensure it's functioning properly. If issues persist, navigate to Settings, then Apps, and select Apps & Features. Find Windows Security, click on it, and choose Advanced options, where you can reset the app to its default state.

Reaction score
You should also check that all necessary services for Windows Security are running. Sometimes these services can be disabled. Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R, type services.msc, and press Enter. In the Services window, ensure that services like Windows Defender Antivirus Service, Windows Defender Security Center Service, and Windows Defender Firewall are set to Automatic. If any of these services are not running, start them manually.

Reaction score
Additionally, make sure your system is up to date by running Windows Update, as pending updates can sometimes fix these issues.

Reaction score
I followed some online steps and ran the sfc /scannow command. It found some corrupted files and repaired them, but Windows Security still didn't come back. Then I checked the services and I found that the Windows Defender Antivirus Service was set to manual. I changed it to automatic and started the service. Thanks again for the help!

Ask a Question