Error following Windows 10 upgrade

Reaction score
I recently re-upgraded Windows 10 on my Lenovo U410 Laptop after using Windows 7 for over 9 months. I used the Media Creation tool and all seemed successful until I re-booted to the new desktop and an error was thrown. The error states "Application must exit: The type initialization for 'System.Windows.Interop.OSVersionHelper has thrown an exception" with a OK button at the bottom that clears the error message. I have attached a screenshot of the entire error message. Up to this point, I have not found any applications or files that do not work properly. I am stumped as to what to do next. Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance. The Windows 10 shows as Creation 1511 under updates applications.

Attachments

• Error Msg-Stack error.PNG
    Error Msg-Stack error.PNG
    52 KB · Views: 942
Reaction score
Thanks for your advise, Norton. I am a little surprised that the MS Media Creator Assistant did not install the latest version of Windows 10(1607 or 1703) since I did the upgrade straight from the Microsoft website. That said, I don't think making a system image backup would be of much use because the restore would contain the same error most likely. Unfortunately to do a clean install, I will need to backup all my data, re-install my 25 or so applications just to get back to where I was using Windows 7. Why does the Windows update state that "Your device is up to date. last checked today, 5:34PM"? even after re-starting several times. My final question is to do a clean install, I would use the Media Creator Assistant again but select not to save my files when beginning the upgrade. Is that correct? or do I need to download and make a disk or USB flash drive from which to do the install? Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Would you happen to have the Metered connection selected? Click on Settings > Devices and check if Download over metered it set to ON. If so it will prevent you from updating.

I would download the Windows Creator media tool and perform a clean install
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Back up your personal data My docs, My Pics... to an external USB or thumb drive.
Unfortunately Yes you'll have to reinstall the 25 apps. Check and see if the xxxx.exe files are in your "Download Folder" if they are back them up too.

Reaction score
I just got mine last week, no problems with the update. I had the update setting to defer so I could have possibly received it earlier ?

Reaction score
I think mine came about sometime in May??
But, referring to the OPs misfortune, the creators update should contain build 15063.0, so there would be a small Cumulative Update delivered within a short time after updating.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Hmm! From forum talk and post I was under the impression that Windows 10 Creators update was version 1703? I just checked mine. It's 1607 (OS Build 14393.1480. Are there 2 versions of the Creators update 1607 & 1703. o_O
I'm running Win 10 Pro. But, I can't see that making a difference.

Attachments

• Winvers.PNG
    Winvers.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 641
  • Creators Update.PNG
    Creators Update.PNG
    22.9 KB · Views: 649
Reaction score
The query pops up from time to time. I have no idea why the same product gets updated for some and not for others. I go through the normal processes - no tricks.
It could be related to the hardware requirements of particular computers, but, to argue against that, I use several different models, although all Dells, and all are at the same build level.
All Windows 10 Pro, by the way.

Later. Just been investigating what updates I have received over current months. Go here and check that you have, indeed, got these latest ones

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB4025342

Here is a description of what it contains

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4025342/windows-10-update-kb4025342

I am thinking that it identifies something to do with security problems, and corrects them - but that is a wild guess.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave all my PCs (3) are DELL too.
I guess I'll just have to wait it out, It's quite clear now that what I got was just part 1 of 3 Preparation Update. Clear as mud LOL
"KB4013214 Mandatory Windows 10 Creators Update.

Microsoft:

As part of Microsoft’s continuing commitment to your privacy with Windows 10, Windows Update KB4013214 prepares your device for the Windows 10 Creators Update by installing the Upgrade and Privacy Experience (UPX).

This update is required before Windows Update will download and install the Windows 10 Creators Update. You can find detailed information about the Upgrade and Privacy Experience at Choose your privacy settings for the Windows 10 Creators Update.

To install this update, you must have installed cumulative update KB4015583, or a subsequently released Windows 10 cumulative update. Note: KB4013214 is required before Windows Update will download and install the Windows 10 Creators Update.

What I don"t understand is why the 2 updates in the catalog for x 64 systems are different in MB size. Unless there's an Enterprise, Pro, Home editions. One size should fit all?

Reaction score
Wish I had a better IQ. Then I could even start to understand what they said

Reaction score
Would you happen to have the Metered connection selected? Click on Settings > Devices and check if Download over metered it set to ON. If so it will prevent you from updating.

I would download the Windows Creator media tool and perform a clean install
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Back up your personal data My docs, My Pics... to an external USB or thumb drive.
Unfortunately Yes you'll have to reinstall the 25 apps. Check and see if the xxxx.exe files are in your "Download Folder" if they are back them up too.

Thanks for the tip, Norton. I checked and did find the Metered connection setting was on. I switched it off for now.
I also followed your advice and downloaded a Windows 10 upgrade to a USB drive on another Windows 10 machine. I will re-try this version with keeping my files first, as a test. If this replicates the first install, I'll do all my backing up and do a clean install. BTW, as others have posted, I have upgraded three other machines since June and they all upgraded successfully to Creator version 1703(two Pro & one Home). It remains a mystery why my laptop upgraded to 1511 version(orig. Windows 7 Home premium). I'll let you know how it goes. Optimxr

Reaction score
Thanks for your advise, Norton. I am a little surprised that the MS Media Creator Assistant did not install the latest version of Windows 10(1607 or 1703) since I did the upgrade straight from the Microsoft website. That said, I don't think making a system image backup would be of much use because the restore would contain the same error most likely. Unfortunately to do a clean install, I will need to backup all my data, re-install my 25 or so applications just to get back to where I was using Windows 7. Why does the Windows update state that "Your device is up to date. last checked today, 5:34PM"? even after re-starting several times. My final question is to do a clean install, I would use the Media Creator Assistant again but select not to save my files when beginning the upgrade. Is that correct? or do I need to download and make a disk or USB flash drive from which to do the install? Thanks again for your help.

Yes you should create the USB from MCT, then if you can get into windows start the install from within windows double clicking the Install.exe file. Creating the USB from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 that should give you the latest version of windows 10
I too don't understand how you got an older version of windows 10 installed, I think its because you ran the install from the website rather than from a USB drive?

Creating an image of your hard drive will capture all your data files, once you get windows up and running again you can mount the Image and retrieve your data files. Its just a quicker way saving all your data. Backing up individual files can take awhile and your likely to miss some.

Reaction score
Clintlgm, my apologies for such a delayed response. I solved my problem by using an old Windows 7 image backup and then upgrading to Windows 10 keeping my data and apps with a DVD using the USB port on my laptop. It was a long and painful process, about 2.5hrs, but I no longer have the stack exception error and am up to date with version 1703, build 15063. Thanks to everyone who helped and consider this thread answered.

Ask a Question