Windows Critical Process Error and Login Password Issue (Win10)

Reaction score
After upgrading my motherboard from an MSI B450M to a Gigabyte B550M DS3H, my system initially worked fine. However, after adjusting BIOS settings to unlock an HDD SATA port, my computer encountered a BSOD with an "inaccessible boot device" error, despite booting from my SSD without prior issues.
Upon reboot, I reached the account selection screen where I entered my password successfully. I then restored to a previous restore point, requiring reinstalling Gigabyte apps which led to further issues. Subsequent reboots resulted in a "Critical Process Died" BSOD, returning me to the account selection screen where my password suddenly became invalid. Despite knowing it was correct (as I could use it on other devices), attempts to log in repeatedly failed.
Efforts to access advanced startup options, command prompt, or recovery tools were unsuccessful, as each attempt led to another BSOD with the same error. Even after changing my password and trying an app password, the issue persisted.
Pressing the "Forgot your password or don't see your account?" button only resulted in a cycle of reboots and BSODs without accessing any administrator accounts or resolving the issue.

I urgently need assistance as I'm unable to use my PC.

Ask a Question