Windows 10 Settings app won't open

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. Yesterday, I encountered issues restarting my laptop. It found a boot issue but couldn't fix it. After rebooting again, I got to my desktop, but the following functions stopped working:

Start
Settings
Search
Action Center
All programs work normally except MS Word. I tried an In-Place Upgrade with the Media Creation Tool but received this message when attempting to keep files:
"Your files, apps, and settings can’t be kept because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory or you’re trying to install an older version of Windows."
Since I can't open Settings, I can't uninstall any recent updates. The WINDOWS key also isn't working, so I can't use shortcuts like Windows+I or Windows+R. Running SFC /scannow stopped at 13% with the message:
"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

I have the CBS.log file, but I don't understand it. Is my only option to do the In-Place Upgrade with everything deleted? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ask a Question