SOLVED Windows 10 Hardware Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I have since noticed my hardware is a bit slow.

I have read a few things about how to upgrade but I cannot seem to find confidence in my reading. Two questions remain.

1. Can I update hardware including my motherboard, CPU, and Graphics cards without purchasing a new Windows 10 license?
2. If so, what is some good preparation to ensure I do not lose my license, since it is not the install license, but the upgrade license?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Upgrading your motherboard would be the equivalent of a new computer, so without some extenuating circumstances you may have some extreme difficulty convincing Microsoft to activate your install again.
Something like..... it fried and your best efforts to replace it with something close to similar you got as close as you could get.
The only thing your might be successful with is reinstalling your previously qualifying version of Windows and then from there upgrading to Windows 10 again. Assuming a previous retail license.

Reaction score
Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I have since noticed my hardware is a bit slow.

I have read a few things about how to upgrade but I cannot seem to find confidence in my reading. Two questions remain.

1. Can I update hardware including my motherboard, CPU, and Graphics cards without purchasing a new Windows 10 license?
2. If so, what is some good preparation to ensure I do not lose my license, since it is not the install license, but the upgrade license?
Hi , I just read this post and maybe able to help you. I also did the Get Windows 10 update to a older computer and had a few things that were somewhat troublesome . So without knowing what kind of computer you have I can tell you that you can try using "miconfig" to see what is loading when you start your computer. I won`t go into detail about these subjects because you can look up "How to" online. Also look at Settings - System - About to see if you have a 32 bit OS and if your CPU is also 32 bit. If it is 32 bit OS and 64 bit CPU then you can change it to a 64 bit OS .This will give you better performance and greater use of the ram installed and in some cases allow you to install more ram. From own experience I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with 4 GB ram and a 2 duo cpu 7400 @ 2.53 GHz processor. I had Windows 10 32 bit and could only use 2.49 GB`s of my ram but after changing the os to a 64 bit I now have use of a 4 GB`s or 3.99 GB`s. My graphics card was a 6200 Nivida Geforce with No avalible drivers so I removed it and am using the onboard graphics for now but currently looking for a card that is compatiable. So you can see how this might help you. Good luck and if you need any further help I would need more info about your computer okay.

Ask a Question