Why Can't I Install Battle.net on My Windows PC?

Reaction score
The Battle.net installer always stops at 5% and generates an error code indicating the app is already on the machine, even though it isn’t. I have two Battle.net accounts linked to different email addresses, used so friends can play on separate machines when they visit.

I’ve tried several troubleshooting steps, including running ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /renew, resetting my gateway multiple times, and attempting the installation after clearing app files and deleting Battle.net folders. Despite having a Battle.net authenticator, the installation still fails.

I'm frustrated with Blizzard's handling of my support ticket, especially after spending significantly on their games and services.

Is there a solution to this issue, or should I expect better support from Microsoft?

Reaction score
Many software companies have Trial or Shareware [try then buy or uninstall] programs and they will check for instances of a program being installed or had been installed. An example: Starting with Shareware [for me back in very early '90s] one could install and use for the period specified but if that expired couldn't uninstall then install new which would fail. The uninstall always left some hidden saying it had been tried, only solution was reformatting/reinstalling the operating system. It's very possible the program contains something that prevents installing more than one instance of it.

The only thing that comes to mind is the possibility of having separate User accounts for the players and the game players would have their own settings in their profile.

Reaction score
Temporary files can cause such issues. Press Win+R, type %temp%, and delete all files in the folder. Then, press Win+R again, type temp, and delete all files in that folder as well.

Reaction score
Battle.net relies on Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables. Make sure you have all the necessary versions installed, or try reinstalling them from the Microsoft website. And ensure your Windows is up-to-date. Sometimes, missing updates can cause software installation issues.

Reaction score
One more thing you could try is a complete clean install.
Perform a clean boot by typing msconfig in the search bar, selecting the "Services" tab, checking "Hide all Microsoft services," and then clicking "Disable all." Next, go to the "Startup" tab and open Task Manager to disable all startup items. Restart your computer and try installing Battle.net again.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, everyone! Here’s what I’ve tried so far:
  • Ran the installer as an administrator and in Safe Mode with Networking, but the issue persisted.
  • Cleared temp files and used CCleaner to remove leftover registry entries.
  • Disabled antivirus and firewall, but no luck.
  • Created a new user account and attempted the installation there, but it still failed.
  • Ran the network diagnostics and made sure all my drivers and Windows updates are current.
I haven’t tried the clean boot yet, so I’ll give that a shot next. If anyone has more suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again for all the help!

Reaction score
Many software companies have Trial or Shareware [try then buy or uninstall] programs and they will check for instances of a program being installed or had been installed. An example: Starting with Shareware [for me back in very early '90s] one could install and use for the period specified but if that expired couldn't uninstall then install new which would fail. The uninstall always left some hidden saying it had been tried, only solution was reformatting/reinstalling the operating system. It's very possible the program contains something that prevents installing more than one instance of it.

The only thing that comes to mind is the possibility of having separate User accounts for the players and the game players would have their own settings in their profile.
Bighorn thanks for the insight. I understand how software sometimes leaves traces behind to prevent multiple installations. However, I'm trying to install Battle.net fresh after thoroughly removing any previous traces, including hidden files and registry entries. Reformatting and reinstalling the OS seems a bit extreme for this issue but I'll do that if I have no other options left.

Ask a Question