SOLVED Unable to access start menu search results

Reaction score
Hi! I've configured indexing options via the control panel to include Desktop, Favorites, Pictures, Start Menu, and Users, with no exclusions. However, when I search for the specific program "Git Bash," the search result appears but remains unresponsive to left or right clicks. Although the shortcut "Git Bash" is present in the directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Git, I can only open it from that location.

Despite rebuilding the index and running commands like DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow in administrator mode of command prompt, the issue persists.

Reaction score
Have you tried checking the permissions of the shortcut file? Right-click on the Git Bash shortcut, go to Properties, then the Security tab, and ensure that your user account has full control.

Reaction score
You can try to reset the Windows search functionality. do this by opening PowerShell as an administrator and running the command: Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Search -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}. After running this command, restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Reaction score
I tried resetting the search functionality using the command you provided, but the problem persists. It's strange because this issue only happens with Git Bash and not with other programs.

Reaction score
Have you considered creating a new user profile to see if the issue is specific to your current profile? Sometimes user profile corruption can cause these kinds of odd behaviors. Create a new user account, log in with it, and see if you can access "Git Bash" from the search menu with the new profile.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I created a new user profile and logged in, and the search for Git Bash works perfectly there. It seems like the issue is indeed with my current user profile. Do you know of any ways to repair or transfer settings to avoid setting everything up from scratch?

Ask a Question