Trojan Wacatac trouble

Reaction score
I accidentally downloaded a Trojan named Wacatac two days ago. I ran a Windows Defender full scan, but it couldn’t remove it. I then used TotalAV, cleaned my temp files, and did additional scans with both Windows Defender and TotalAV. I also ran Tron script, the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (64-bit), and the Microsoft Support Emergency Response Tool. Despite these efforts, the "Remediation incomplete" notice still appears in the Protection History tab of Windows Security.

Is the Trojan gone, or could it still be hiding? Do I need to restart or factory reset my PC to ensure it's fully removed? I’m very paranoid after having my Discord and Steam hacked and want to be absolutely sure it’s gone.

Reaction score
If you’re still seeing “Remediation incomplete,” the Trojan might still be present or there could be remnants causing issues. Try running a dedicated malware removal tool for a thorough scan. If it still shows up, consider performing a factory reset after backing up your important files. This will ensure all traces of the Trojan are removed.

Reaction score
Hey areopinion, it’s possible the Trojan is still lingering if the scans aren’t fully removing it. A good next step is to use an offline scanner like Windows Defender Offline, which can catch malware that might evade regular scans. If that doesn’t work, a factory reset might be your safest bet.

Reaction score
If you’ve tried multiple tools and still see issues, the Trojan might not be fully removed. Using a bootable antivirus scanner from a USB drive can help detect and remove stubborn malware. If the problem persists, backing up your data and doing a factory reset is the best way to ensure your system is clean.

Ask a Question