SOLVED Stuck in Sleep Mode for Month

Reaction score
I tried to upgrade from Window 7 to Windows 10 in January; my computer has been in sleep mode ever since. There is NOTHING on the screen, (no cursor or anything) and the hard drive light just keeps pulsing. I can turn it off by pushing and holding the power button, but when I restart it, it does not go though a reboot...it is still in hibernation, like it hadn't even BEEN turned off. So I am unable to boot from any drive. It is stuck in sleep mode! The computer is a Gateway DX4540 - UBC01A.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't find a DX4540. I see a 4640 and a 4840 but no 4540.
Anyway if it's a desktop, then.....
Unplug it from the wall. While it is unplugged, press and hold the Power Button and count to 30.
Plug it back into the wall and power it up.

Reaction score
Can't find a DX4540. I see a 4640 and a 4840 but no 4540.
Anyway if it's a desktop, then.....
Unplug it from the wall. While it is unplugged, press and hold the Power Button and count to 30.
Plug it back into the wall and power it up.

Thank you for the response, but it didn't work...the machine is still hibernating, no start up sounds or anything.

Reaction score
My computer still will not wake up. (See original post below.) Can anyone help, please? Any insight or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
{ I tried to upgrade from Window 7 to Windows 10 in January; my computer has been in sleep mode ever since. There is NOTHING on the screen, (no cursor or anything) and the hard drive light just keeps pulsing. I can turn it off by pushing and holding the power button, but when I restart it, it does not go though a reboot...it is still in hibernation, like it hadn't even BEEN turned off. So I am unable to boot from any drive. It is stuck in sleep mode! The computer is a Gateway DX4540 - UBC01A }

Reaction score
This is a desperate suggestion. Open the cover of the machine and find a battery (button size usually) this power the memory when machine is switched off. This is provided to help system maintain time, date and some other essential functions during power off.
Anyway remove that battery and wait for about 1 or 2 minutes. Reinstall the battery and power up the machine.
My theory is that for some reason the machine remembers sleep mode and never recovered out of it and eventually got stuck in it.

If this solves the problem have a champagne to celebrate. :):):)

Fingers crossed.
ashutosh

Reaction score
vw, I cannot find your machine anywhere on the web. Check the model number and repost it.

If it is a laptop, see if you can remove the battery with it unplugged. Hold the Power Button down for one minute, re-install the battery, and plug it in. If this is a laptop, I think that the previous suggestion by ndash is correct. If you can't get the battery out without damaging the laptop, take it to a reliable computer repair shop.

Reaction score
This is a desperate suggestion. Open the cover of the machine and find a battery (button size usually) this power the memory when machine is switched off. This is provided to help system maintain time, date and some other essential functions during power off.
Anyway remove that battery and wait for about 1 or 2 minutes. Reinstall the battery and power up the machine.
My theory is that for some reason the machine remembers sleep mode and never recovered out of it and eventually got stuck in it.

If this solves the problem have a champagne to celebrate. :):):)

Fingers crossed.
ashutosh
Thank you for your help, but it did not work...still asleep. :-(

Reaction score
Hello,

Please try these steps:

1: Turn the power off and disconnected everything from the tower.
2: Hold the power button in the front for 30 seconds.
3: If there is a reset button on the tower, ensure that it is not stuck.
4: Connect 4 basic connection i.e. keyboard, mouse, monitor and power.
5: Turn the computer on.

Only connect 1 monitor and if possible, connect VGA.
If not resolved:
6: Try different monitor cable.
7: Try different output like DVI or HDMI.
8: Try different monitor.

If issue still persists:

9: Disconnected everything and open the tower.
10: Clean off all the dust.
11: Re-seat all the connections and try.

If its still not resolved, contact a repair shop since its a HW related problem

All the best.

Reaction score
SammyG: I followed your directions above, but I still found myself with a computer that would not wake up! Enough already! I decided to take drastic measures. After removing the hard drive and connecting it to my laptop, I was able to access the contents and save the important files. When I was through, I reformatted the hard drive then put it back in the tower. Problem solved! :)

Thanks to all of you who took the time to offer suggestions. I really do appreciate everyone's help!

Sincerely,
Valerie W.

Reaction score
Hey sometimes brute force does the trick, formatting HD seemed like the last resort.
Glad now you are getting the sleep instead of the machine. :):):)

Ask a Question