SOLVED Stuck in Safe Mode without login access

Reaction score
I activated Safe Mode login using Windows + R (Run Command) and msconfig. Now my system always boots into Safe Mode. My PIN isn't working, I can't log in with my password, and I can't use Command Prompt. Pressing Shift + Restart takes me to Troubleshoot, but selecting Command Prompt doesn't work - it just returns me to Safe Mode.

I've tried all options in Troubleshoot without success, and I'm reluctant to reset my PC.

Anyone have a solution?

Reaction score
Try booting your machine with Windows 10 installation media
At the Install screen, click on "Repair" on the lower left.
Then Troubleshoot.
Advanced.
Command Prompt with Admin.
Select Command Prompt and type in the following:
bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot
If that gives an error, use:
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

Reaction score
If you don’t have Windows installation media, you can create it on another computer using a USB drive and the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft’s website. Once you have the media, follow Bastet’s instructions to boot from it and access the Command Prompt. This should help you get out of Safe Mode.

Reaction score
Another option to try is to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Sometimes, the network version of Safe Mode allows for different login credentials. To do this, press F8 during boot (or Shift + F8) to access the boot menu and select Safe Mode with Networking. Once you’re logged in you can open msconfig and undo the Safe Mode setting

Reaction score
You can also try to perform a System Restore if you have a restore point available. Boot from the installation media as Bastet suggested, and instead of selecting Command Prompt, choose System Restore. This will revert your system to a previous state before Safe Mode was enabled, without affecting your personal files.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I created a Windows 10 installation USB and followed the steps to access the Command Prompt. Using the command bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot worked perfectly. My system now boots normallyand I’m able to log in with my PIN again. Appreciate all the help!

Ask a Question