Removing Old Version of WinSCP Application

Reaction score
I've found an old version of WinSCP on my organization's device, flagged as a vulnerability by my Defender portal. It's currently stored in the registry path HK local user... How can I safely delete or update this application? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
First, make sure to back up your registry before making any changes. You can do this by opening the Registry Editor (type regedit in the search bar), then go to File > Export and save the backup file. Once you've backed up the registry, navigate to the specific path and carefully delete the WinSCP entry. You can also download the latest version of WinSCP from the official website and install it, which should update the existing version automatically.

Reaction score
To remove the old version safely, you can also use a third-party uninstaller tool like Revo Uninstaller or IOBit Uninstaller. These tools are great for removing all traces of an application, including registry entries and leftover files. After uninstalling, you can install the latest version of WinSCP. Make sure to download it from the official WinSCP site to avoid any malicious software.

Reaction score
Another approach is to use Windows PowerShell. Open PowerShell as an administrator and use the following command to remove the application:
Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * from Win32_Product where Name='WinSCP'" | ForEach-Object { $_.Uninstall() }
This command will find and uninstall WinSCP. After removing the old version, you can proceed with installing the latest version from the official website.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone. I created a registry backup and tried deleting the entry, but it didn't work. I also tried using Revo Uninstaller, but the old version still shows up in the Defender portal. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
If manual removal and third-party uninstallers aren’t working, try using the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter. It’s a free tool provided by Microsoft that can help fix issues with programs that won’t uninstall. Download it from the official Microsoft support page and follow the prompts to remove the old WinSCP version.

Ask a Question