Network folder access issue/explorer crash

Reaction score
This may have already been answered, but an unanswered question leads nowhere.

I have a hard drive on my server computer and upon copying files from my desktop to the hard drive's folder in Windows Explorer, for some reason, Windows Explorer hangs, then crashes. Thanks to Window's 10's self-awareness, Windows Explorer reboots but I lose the windows I had open before the crash/hang.

I've tried this more than once and it did the same thing. (Regardless if the files were in list viewing style, tiles, thumbnails, and so forth...)

Anyone have any leads to what's going on?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Isaac and welcome to the forum.
Are you copying these files across the network from one computer to another? Are you using a wireless or wired connection?
Can you give us an idea as to the type of files (file extensions) and the typical size of the individual file(s) or the overall size of the groups of files you are copying?

Reaction score
Hello Isaac and welcome to the forum.
Are you copying these files across the network from one computer to another? Are you using a wireless or wired connection?
Can you give us an idea as to the type of files (file extensions) and the typical size of the individual file(s) or the overall size of the groups of files you are copying?

Thank you for the nice welcome, and I'm sorry for not being detailed with my issue.

(Update, 3-10-16_11:19PM): I found out the cause of this issue. It's an incompatibility problem with Windows 10 and 3ds Max 2016. In Windows 10, apparently, a thumbnail is attempted to be displayed in place of the project file's icon instead of the default "project icon". (Similar to an image's thumbnail.) I discovered this when I went back to try and gather images for you to see, but then I discovered that this was more or less an issue with the desktop just displaying the file on the monitor.

I'm sorry for not having enough detail for you to begin with for you to help me... :(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you got it figured out.
That seems to be an issues with explorer and some types of files and actually has been for a while, going back to Windows 8 if not Windows 7.
Usually Checking the box to always show icons, never thumbnails will remedy the issue with explorer attempting to render a thumbnail for preview even when you settings do not involve thumbnails.

Thumbnails.JPG

Reaction score
Same issue with PDF file under Windows 10 Pro but I've found another solution than uncheck Always show icons, never thumbnails.

Cause identified:
It's not a problem with some type of files, it's a problem of too long file name. On a network share if you are near from 255 characters limit in file path and if you are on Windows 10 you have this problem.

To solve this issue :
Reduce name of the file which cause explorer.exe crash. (for information NTFS file system accept file path of 64.000 characters but windows application since Windows 95 accept only 255 maximum. Same problem on Mac OS. :)

Reaction score
Glad to hear that you got it figured out.
That seems to be an issues with explorer and some types of files and actually has been for a while, going back to Windows 8 if not Windows 7.
Usually Checking the box to always show icons, never thumbnails will remedy the issue with explorer attempting to render a thumbnail for preview even when you settings do not involve thumbnails.

View attachment 2587
That saved my day, thank you :)

Ask a Question