Need help logging into my HP laptop

Reaction score
I recently found an old HP laptop I haven't used in 7 years. It still works, but I’ve forgotten the password. I tried the Microsoft password login method, but it says “your device is offline, sign in with the last password you used on this device.” I can't connect to my Wi-Fi as it’s not showing up in the available networks, and I can't choose to keep files and apps during a reset. Can someone help?

Reaction score
My choice is such a situation is to boot to a Linux LiveDVD or LiveUSB thumb drive, salvage any files on the Windows drive to another Thumb drive then do a clean install.

Another possibility is the Hidden Administrator account which should allow some fixing:

To make it visible so as to fix the problem in a Command Prompt window type
SET USER ADMINISTRATOR /ACTIVE:YES
Reboot to fix things then when finished type
SET USER ADMINISTRATOR /ACTIVE:NO then reboot. It's wise not to routinely use that hidden account.

Reaction score
My choice is such a situation is to boot to a Linux LiveDVD or LiveUSB thumb drive, salvage any files on the Windows drive to another Thumb drive then do a clean install.

Another possibility is the Hidden Administrator account which should allow some fixing:

To make it visible so as to fix the problem in a Command Prompt window type
SET USER ADMINISTRATOR /ACTIVE:YES
Reboot to fix things then when finished type
SET USER ADMINISTRATOR /ACTIVE:NO then reboot. It's wise not to routinely use that hidden account.
Thanks, Bighorn! I'll try the Hidden Administrator account method first. Just to clarify how do I get to the Command Prompt window if I can't log in? Also, is there any way to connect to Wi-Fi before I try this?

Reaction score
Thanks, Bighorn! I'll try the Hidden Administrator account method first. Just to clarify how do I get to the Command Prompt window if I can't log in? Also, is there any way to connect to Wi-Fi before I try this?
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? The Internet shouldn't be needed for the process.

Ask a Question