SOLVED Msvcp140.dll and Vcruntime140.dll Bad Image Errors

Reaction score
I have tried replacing both Msvcp140.dll and Vcruntime140.dll files, and downloaded both x64 and x86 C++ redistributable folders, but the issue persists. I also ran sfc /scannow, chkdsk, and DISM.exe commands, but nothing worked. I'm using a Windows 10 PC with an AMD graphics card.

The Msvcp140.dll bad image error occurs when opening Elden Ring, and the Vcruntime140.dll bad image error appears when opening AMD Adrenalin Edition setup.

Please help.

Reaction score
Have you tried completely uninstalling the Visual C++ Redistributables and then reinstalling them? Sometimes leftover files can cause conflicts. Make sure to remove all versions, restart your computer, and then download the latest versions from the Microsoft website.

Reaction score
Ensure your Windows is fully updated since missing updates often lead to compatibility issues with certain applications. Go to Settings > Update & Security and check for any pending updates.

Reaction score
Have you checked your system for malware? Some viruses can corrupt DLL files. Running a full system scan with Windows Defender or a trusted antivirus can help. If the problem persists after all these, consider checking the integrity of the game files through Steam or the platform you’re using for Elden Ring. Corrupted game files can also trigger these DLL errors.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll try uninstalling the redistributables first and see if that resolves the issue. I’ll also run a malware scan just in case

Reaction score
Another thing to check is if there are any conflicting programs running in the background. Other software can interfere with DLLs. You can try running a clean boot to see if that helps. Also, if you’re still facing issues after all these steps, consider reinstalling the software that’s causing the error. For instance, uninstalling and reinstalling Elden Ring might resolve the issue. Good luck!

Reaction score
Another thing to check is if there are any conflicting programs running in the background. Other software can interfere with DLLs. You can try running a clean boot to see if that helps. Also, if you’re still facing issues after all these steps, consider reinstalling the software that’s causing the error. For instance, uninstalling and reinstalling Elden Ring might resolve the issue. Good luck!
I followed your suggestions, and here’s what worked for me. I first uninstalled all Visual C++ Redistributables, restarted my PC, and then reinstalled the latest versions from the Microsoft website. I also checked for Windows updates and made sure my system was fully up to date. After that, I ran a malware scan with Windows Defender and found a couple of potential threats, which I removed. Finally, I uninstalled and reinstalled Elden Ring. After these steps, the Msvcp140.dll and Vcruntime140.dll errors are gone! Both Elden Ring and the AMD Adrenalin setup are working perfectly now. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Ask a Question