Microsoft Activation Key Not Working After Multiple Uses

Reaction score
I have an OEM key that I usually use to activate my Windows license. I've reformatted my computer several times and changed motherboards, using the same key on two different motherboards. Now, the key has stopped working, and I get the message: "We can’t activate your copy of Windows as you’ve reached the limit on the number of times you can reactivate Windows using this Microsoft account."

Can someone help me resolve this issue?

Thanks

Reaction score
That's the licensing restrictions, probably would need to purchase a new key. The OEM keys are intended to be used only on the computer Windows is initially installed on, not supposed to work on other hardware. The Retail keys can be used on a Replacement computer but not both at the same time. Beginning with Windows 8 we didn't get a Product Key like with Windows 7 and earlier but at/after installing got a Digital License when activating.

Reaction score
I wasn’t aware that OEM keys were so restricted with hardware changes. I guess I’ll reach out to Microsoft Support and see if they can help me with this situation. In the meantime I’ll look into purchasing a retail key for more flexibility in the future. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Ask a Question