How do I stop OneDrive from moving my files and restore what's in the cloud?

Reaction score
After a recent Windows 10 update, OneDrive (Personal) asked me if I wanted to use it for the first time. I have a lot of files and photos, and I didn't realize that they would be removed from my PC and stored only in the cloud. I thought they would be copied and stored, not replaced.

This change has slowed down my computer, and I don’t like that my files and photos aren’t on my PC anymore. I tried to retrieve my files, but OneDrive just made copies of everything. I had saved everything to a thumb drive before this issue started, but the file sizes on the thumb drive are now doubled compared to what’s on my PC, including for my pictures and videos. I'm unsure about my desktop files.

How can I keep all of my files on my PC and stop using OneDrive? Also, many of my photos now have a blue mountain icon instead of thumbnails. How do I restore the thumbnails?

Thanks for any help!

Ask a Question