Deleting update history in Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi, I' ve tried to delete the ever growing update history list following correctly all the steps using CMD but so far the history has not been deleted. Any further suggestions will be appreciated. The system will not accept the net stop wuauserv command so I can go no further. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi technerd,

If the net stop wuauserv command isn't working, try running Command Prompt as an administrator. Sometimes issues with stopping services can be due to permissions. You might also want to check if any antivirus software is blocking the command. Another option is to manually clear the update files by navigating to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and deleting the contents there. After that, restart the Windows Update service with net start wuauserv.

Reaction score
Try using PowerShell instead. Open PowerShell as an administrator and run Stop-Service -Name wuauserv to stop the Windows Update service.
You might also want to restart your computer in Safe Mode and try the command again. If that doesn’t work, manually delete the SoftwareDistribution folder by renaming it to something like SoftwareDistribution.old.

Reaction score
For issues with the update history, make sure no other processes are interfering with Windows Update. Check Task Manager for any related processes and end them if needed. You might also use the Disk Cleanup tool to clear out old update files. Go to Disk Cleanup, select "Clean up system files," and choose the Windows Update files to remove. If the problem persists, a system restart might resolve it.

Reaction score
I just Hide the list in Settings, Windows Update, Update History and the small arrow at the right end. A problem can exist if ever needing to use the Uninstall feature and the list is gone. But then some updates can't be removed and some may not be listed.

Reaction score
For issues with the update history, make sure no other processes are interfering with Windows Update. Check Task Manager for any related processes and end them if needed. You might also use the Disk Cleanup tool to clear out old update files. Go to Disk Cleanup, select "Clean up system files," and choose the Windows Update files to remove. If the problem persists, a system restart might resolve it.
This worked for me thanks!

Ask a Question